Wednesday, November 28, 2018

Seasoned Crooks- short film

This is a film I wrote and directed with the help of Armin Dikic as cinematographer. The idea came to me when I was given a prompt that stated, "A young girl has to escape without begin seen when two men walk into her home." I thought that most people would make a dramatic film so I took another turn with it.  I decided to have a young girl making pasta in her house. When two men walk in, she hides with a knife. The two men then get distracted by the smell of her pasta as well as their hunger. When writing the script I had both of my actors in mind for the burglars and I was lucky enough to use them for the actual film.  I spent about a week writing the script. Originally I started without dialogue to see where it would end up. I feel as if that was a good choice because it gave me the freedom to write little dialog and leave it to the actors to play with. Production was a good experience  because everyone was having fun on set and we all knew what he wanted the short to turn out to be. We experienced little troubles and overall had a great time on set which made editing a lot more enjoyable. Editing in general was easy however, the beginning syncopated sounds with the music was difficult and could still be revised to match better. I was lucky to have Armin on camera for me because he knows the equipment very well. I am not the best editor so I was happy to be able to edit this film as well to help me as well as add another thing to the list of what I can do.  Armin and I communicated a lot about what we both wanted the look of the film to be as well as we collaborated with the actors for their input on what they felt the lines should be.  For such a fun loving film, it was a very professional and happy set. If I could change anything I would use a different mic to record the audio differently as well as get a light kit to make the lighting more even on my actors faces.I really enjoy the concept of my film as well as the directing of it.  The casting choices were great and the actor really made the scrip come to life. I will always try to bring the same level of professionalism as well as happiness to my sets because it makes a stressful situation a fun experience. Overall I am happy about the way the film turned out. I know there are things to fix but nothing is perfect. I feel like this shows a new side of my work so I am really happy to be able to add this to my resume as the first short film I have written. What I learned from this will defiantly apply to the way i lead my set during feature film. 

No comments:

Post a Comment