Monday, December 18, 2017

Entertainment- Semester 1 Final

In my first semester of Entertainment Production, We created a PSA a short film, worked on film treatments and scripts, and finished the semester beginning our full length feature film.
PSA

At the beginning of the assignment, my group wanted to do water conservation. However, we realized the concept we were actually going for was the difference between two realities. We decided to changer concept to giving back rather than water conservation. My job was to be the cinematographer and the storyboarder. Working closely with the director Olivia, I helped to gain insight on how we needed the overall outcome of the video. The team along with our actors, spent an entire Saturday filming all of the shots and scenes we needed. Addie designed the costumes and picked the locations of the video. George used Adobe Premier Pro to edit our video that will be played for the class (the above edit is mine not Georges's). We were able to use all of the five guarantees to enhance our video. our group had great communication even through Georges concussion. Olivia showed herself as a leader through directing. Addie, Olivia, and I collaborated to make sure we got the aesthetic of the shot we wanted. We had a scheduled day of shooting and completed everything we needed to on time and finally George was good with his technical skills, which helped all of us edit our videos too. If I could change anything I would add some B-Roll because my video has none at all. I really liked the people I was working with and I liked the locations we shot at. I will always make sure we have a schedule so we know what we are doing at all times. Overall, I enjoyed the project and the group I was able to work with.

Short Film-Hello

Hello was written and directed by Alex Manriquez. I was in a group that faced more struggles in this project. The basis of the project was to write and create a short film that had a beginning, middle, and an end. This took us longer than usual because it started with everyone writing their own short film and then collaborating in a group of 5 to pick one to create. At the beginning the short film was running smoothly until we began to hit the bumps. Our director position was almost taken over by another person in our group and we faced struggles when it came to editing when our editor didn't get our film down in time and then just threw it all together. Along the way I learned that when something matters to me I need to enforce that it gets done and its done in the way that will be most beneficial to our film. We were told that there was a lot to be changed about our film including jump cuts, color grading, and unfocused shots. As art director there was nothing I could do to fix the things that were already damaged. Overall, I am not proud of this film at all and I would have rather made my own that stood up to my standards because I know I am better than what was put up on the screen. 
2017 Homecoming Candidate video

This wasn't apart of the class, but I was also given the opportunity to make the homecoming candidate video this year. I faces lots of struggles with this video including terrible wind, not getting a plane I was offered, and some color balancing details. Overall, I learned all from this project and being able to balance STUCO and eComm. 
Film Treatment/Script
For my film treatment I wrote a murder mystery musical. It was based off of the board game clue and it was supposed to be a comedic take on a cheesy 1920s dinner party. One day I would love to make this movie because I feel like it could go places and I could be quite successful with it. I believe the story was great with a beginning middle and an end but the only problem was being able to fully write a musical score for a film that we weren't sure would be long enough to completely tell the story I was hoping for. Along the way I learned that when I wasn't to get something accomplished I need to make sure it gets done and I know that I will make this film. 
Time management
In class I use my time well and quite frankly I've been getting g annoyed when I ask someone to do something and it doesn't get done because they are distracted by their peers or because they want to do things that aren't even about eComm. I've realized this a lot this last quarter after I've been given the role of 1st AD for our feature film. I have had to do a lot of things my self when they aren't my job and it puts a lot of extra pressure on me but if I want it done well, I trust myself. To stay productive I will write down new ideas that I have come across throughout the day but typically I work most of the hour. Recently outside of class I have been researching colleges and figuring out how to create a reel and what I need to do to impress schools. 
Strengths
I feel like I am very good at talking to people and executing their ideas into the video they have asked me to make for them. I have found I am a good leader and I need to continue working on my leadership abilities and hopefully create a strong enough stance to be a respected director. 
Weakness
A weakness that I have is anxiety. I get nervous when I am given a position of authority because I feel like some of the people in our class don't approve or don't think I can do it. However, I overcome that after I realize the what they think doesn't matter and I know that I am am good and I can do whatever I set my mind to. 
Guest speakers
From our guest speakers I learned that the field of film is hard but I can do it if I have the heart and dedication for it, which I do. I learned a lot about the equipment and I am excited to continue to work with it. 
Summary
This year has had its ups and its downs but I know that everything I've faced will just help me grow as a film maker and as a person. I have learned things specific to eComm the people can't learn anyplace else. I have been provided a second family with the people I my class and my instructor and sometimes it hurts when I feel like the people in the family wither aren't proud of each other to they aren't wanting everyone to succeed. I know not everyone shares the same passion as I do but I do know that if I didn't care about this as much as the other people, I wouldn't ruin it for them. I do feel like we need a class bonding day where we can all get closer because I feel as if we don't understand each other yet and that is a key asset to a production team and a family. 

No comments:

Post a Comment